If you are like me you have looked in the mirror once or twice and noticed that groove between your eyebrows getting deeper and those wrinkles on your forehead not disappearing. You’ve been thinking for a while that you want to get cosmetic surgery to help you out. You’ve found loads of places online such as Sachin Shridharani at Luxurgery but you have no idea where to even begin before you take the plunge. But what about those smile lines or the dark circles under your eyes that seem to become more prominent by the day? Don’t worry friend, I’ve got the nitty gritty details of botox and filler, and no, you won’t look like Joan Rivers or one of those tiger ladies!
BEFORE-Try not to laugh at my faces!
All About Botox
I started my day with Dr. Banerji at Houston Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Everyone at the office was warm and welcoming. I personally have had Botox once before, but I had never tried fillers. Fillers terrified me because they last 18-24 months, unlike Botox that only lasts 4-5 months.
I knew right away I wanted the 11’s between my eyebrows to disappear and the two deep wrinkles I had on my forehead to be smooth. This time around, I also chose to have a small amount of Botox on the sides of my eyes (crow’s feet) because I noticed my makeup was settling into those lines and making them appear more prominent. Altogether, I had 44 units injected. It is important to make sure you get your work done by someone who has received the proper Botox training and certification. But anyway, below are some of the most common questions about Botox.
- Does it hurt? The Botox needle is so thin and small. If you can handle a couple small pricks, you should not have an issue with pain.
- How long does it take to work? Botox does not work instantly. I wasn’t aware of this the first time I got it. Botox takes 3-7 days to be fully effective.
- Will I still have facial expressions? YES! This is the biggest misconception about Botox. If done correctly, your face will look completely natural, only with a refreshed and rested appearance.
- How long does it last? This varies person to person. If you workout a lot, sweat a lot or have a fast metabolism it may only last 3 months. Mine has personally lasted up to 5 months.
- When should I start getting Botox? Now here’s the kicker…Dr’s say in your twenties! Why? Botox trains the muscles that cause the wrinkles to relax, therefore never creating those deep wrinkles you see later in life. I have a friend who has been getting Botox for six years. She is now in her late 30’s and only has to get a touch up once a year because her face never formed those deep lines.
- How much does it cost? This can vary. Botox is usually sold “per unit.” Some Dr’s charge $15 a unit, some have Botox specials and may only charge $9 a unit. If you are unsure, schedule a consultation and ask about any specials going on.
All About Fillers
I was pretty nervous about getting fillers. I have had friends who had bad filler jobs and ended up having to get the solution injected to dissolve the filler. But I have also heard good things from botox in nyc. I’m a give it to me straight kind of gal so I asked Dr. Banerji if he thought I needed filler anywhere. He asked me what my concerns were before making a recommendation and instantaneously he had the most perfect answer. It was like a lightbulb when off. I said my concerns were the dark circles under my eyes and the lines starting to form on the sides of my mouth (marionette lines). Right away he said that as we age the first spot we lose fat is in the cheek area under our eyes. It leaves a hollowed out area that makes dark circles more prominent and emphasizes those marionette lines. He said by putting filler in those hollow it automatically lifts that area, therefore smoothing out those marionette lines. It’s like for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
The filler (Radiesse) was a bit more uncomfortable. I won’t say painful because I really didn’t have any pain except for the actual needle stick. I think my exact words were creepy. When the filler was injected into my cheek I could hear a crackling noise. This was the filler filling the muscle and hollow space. Unlike Botox, filler takes affect immediately. Dr. Banerji first injected small amounts of filler just below my eye bone. Then he molded it along my cheek with his thumbs. This again did not hurt. It was like a face massage. I was beyond ecstatic with the results. I felt like the dark circle shadow was gone from under my eyes. Do you know how many eye creams I have wasted money on trying to resolve this issue?
Check out that smooth forehead, no more 11’s between my eyebrows and minimal crow’s feet on the sides of my eyes. My cheeks are more full right below my eyes to help reduce dark circles.
Feel free to comment or email me with any questions! I would love to help.
Note: I am not a medical professional. Please seek medical advice from a doctor before undergoing any medical services.